January 1, 2019
Home theaters are awesome. Want to watch a movie in your underwear? Yes please. Want to buy expensive home theater chairs to do it in? No thank you. Came up with this idea to bridge the divide.
Some products purchased through links may earn me a small commission to help fund further inventing to share with you. Thank you for your support.
For your couch.
Idea was to create an armrest that can be inserted between the cushions in a couch. Not only should it be comfy, it should allow the fabric to easily be changed to stylize it as desired.
Design notes on each version. Select a tab to learn more.
Last updated: October, 2022
TO DO LIST:
- Build 3D printed frame supports, fabric clamping system, and famework that stitches it together.
- Consider making the insert and armrest separate and swappable.
- Design front accessories. Start with drawer and cup holder.
I worked together with my Twitch viewers to evolve the concept to be easier to build, and provide customization of the front face for additional functionality such as storage, drink holders, and more.
Adding additional functionality was an interesting evolution of the concept.
I built an easy to assemble laser cut profile as the framework.
- Built with 1/4" MDF, 2x4's, 1" foam, and imitation vinyl leather.
- Insert height determines the type of couch it can fit and the stability of the armrest.
- The armrest portion needs to be much taller and possibly adjustable.
- Front of fabric will need a special cut and compression fitting to look nice, yet swappable.